If Mario is good enough for a racing game why can’t PAC-MAN get one ? It looks the little yellow guy is still going strong even after 32 years .. this time he called few of his mates from the Namco Bandai Games banner and decided to go racing just like his friend Sonic ( with Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing ). While Pac-Man might live on even after the next 30 years .. its not very likely people will be talking about PAC-MAN Kart Rally a few months from now, except perhaps when it goes on sale on Deal of the Week .. with their asking price that might be the only time when people talk about it.
Its a standard racer with various offensive and defensive bonus power ups along the way and the first one to cross the finish line wins. You can use the accelerometer or the software arrow keys to maneuver the vehicles. Pacs has called on some of his ghost mates from the game to join him on this journey along with The Prince and Ichigo from I love Katamari, Taizo Hori from Dig Dug and Susumu Hori from Mr. Driller and what looks like a fighter aircraft from Ace Combat ( my best guess , let me know if I got it wrong ) . You get to pick various vehicles for each of these characters. The game offers various levels and multiple tracks for each levels most of which was locked on the demo.
One of the most striking feature was the ability to battle it out with your friends on local WiFi it seem it supports up to 3 players at a time. ( not confirmed yet ) . The graphics are not all that great from what I can tell but it works well and seems to offer a decent frame-rate during single player mode on my Omnia 7.
PAC-MAN Kart Rally xBox Live Achievements
- One Step Ahead (20 points): Finish 3 races 1 lap before at least 1 opponent.
- Dotted Line (10 points): Finish an Expert Tournament Race with 10 Pac-Dots.
- Gear Head (10 points): Unlock all karts and all kart upgrades.
- Drift Away (10 points): Perform 8 drift boosts in a single race.
- Champion (20 points): Win all the cups on 1st place.
- Hardcore (10 points): Finish 3 races without using any power-ups.
- Mission Accomplished (30 points): Complete all the missions in Challenge Mode.
- I Will Survive (20 points): Place 1st in each lap in a Survival Race.
- Unbeatable (20 points): Win 50 Multiplayer Races.
- Karting King (30 points): Complete the Tournament on Expert difficulty.
- Record Breaker (10 points): Beat your own record 3 times on any track.
- Classic Pac-Man (10 points): Eat all the ghosts in a Chase Race.
PAC-MAN Kart Rally Gameplay Video
PAC-MAN Kart Rally Screenshots
There is a trial version available and the full version is available for $2.99, a lot of the features are blocked out in the trail.
UPDATE : 05/05/2012
After a few days on the marketplace this game was getting quite a few -ve reviews on the marketplace which is probably why they had a change of heart and decided to cut the price down to $2.99 from $4.99 . We are not sure if the price drop is a permanent one or a move to gain some positive reviews. What remains to be seen is what early adopters, who paid the full $4.99 price, of this game think. I am guessing they wont be happy about it. We have reached out to Windows Phone Support for more info.
@1800PocketPC We don’t do refunds for price drops/sales. ^EB
— WindowsPhoneSupport (@WinPhoneSupport) May 7, 2012
They got back to us say there will be no refunds for price drops.